Detox refers to eradicating toxic waste compounds from your body. Different kinds of toxins are formed in the body during various metabolic functions. Our lifestyle, diet, and environment also plays a vital role in the level and sorts of toxins that we become susceptible to.
It is highly encouraged that we detox once in a while and get rid of the toxins in our body. Detoxifying can lead do an overall good health, prevention of illnesses, and improved appearance. A detox can be done in many forms – from exercising, meditation, diet, hydration, and even juicing.
Fruits and vegetables are considered as powerhouses of vitamins and minerals that provide our body with the essential antioxidants that combat the harmful free radicals and toxins, which is why they’re very powerful detox constants.
In this article, we’ll be sharing with you 10 examples of fruits and vegetables that are potent detox food.
- Apple – Practically rich in vitamins, fibers, and minerals. They also contain phytochemicals and pectin which are all detox tools. Pectin has the property to help flush out food additives and metals in our body. Malic and Tartaric acids found in apple help aid in digestion. The skin even contains a good amount of fiber and vitamin C.
- Beet – A root crop that is rich in vitamin A, manganese, and nitrates. When your body digests the beet, it helps in purifying the blood and deep-cleansing of the liver. The sugar content also helps in warding off free radicals.
- Cilantro – This greens that is rich in aroma aids in ridding the body of heavy metals (compounds that lead to depression, thyroid and hormonal problems, etc.). The chemical compounds in cilantro helps by binding these toxins, loosening them from our blood, tissues, and organs, and then assists in eliminating them from our body
- Garlic – They don’t just make our food smell and taste good, they also make our bodies feel better. It is an anti-inflammatory source and can help to reduce blood pressure levels. It works like a bristle brush in de-clogging the arteries from years of buildup while lessening the cholesterol levels.
- Grapefruit – It’s not just about vitamin C from this fruit that you should think of, it’s also full of antioxidants. One of which is glutathione which clears the body from multiple toxic substances and lower the fat levels of your liver. It’s also a perfect sweet element to your otherwise bitter green juice.
- Lemon – Generally, all citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C, lemons also contain polyphenol antioxidants which significantly help in reducing weight gain caused by a high-fat diet if taken regularly. It also helps in improving insulin resistance.
- Kale – Kale is the only vegetable that has very few calories yet has nearly 19% of the calcium, more than 200% of the vitamin A, 134% of vitamin C, and nearly 700% of the vitamin K recommended for the daily diet of an average adult. Talk about a superfood.
- Kiwi – This fruit helps if you have a sluggish bowel movement or if you suffer from chronic constipation because it is full of soluble fiber. It promotes improvement of the intestinal system. Moreover, since has high water content and average caloric amount, it is ideal for weight loss.
- Papaya – contains 224% of vitamin C daily diet requirement, plus other nutrients like vitamin A, magnesium and potassium. These elements are great antioxidants that ward off common colds and flu. It contains papain, an enzyme that helps break down protein and aids in digestion.
- Tomatoes – The lycopene which gives the tomato its red and lush color is an antioxidant that helps protect the liver from damages caused by free radicals. Anti-aging experts also believe that lycopene is essential to maintaining a good overall help as people grow older as it boosts the immune system and plays a part in helping prevent growth of cancer cells.